In summer, apartments can get hotter, and stay hotter longer, than the air outside. Make a plan to keep your home cool:
- Keep blinds or drapes closed to block out the sun during the day
- Make meals that don’t use an oven, especially if you don’t have air conditioning
- Unplug electronics and turn off lights when not in use
- Use fans properly:
- Place fans in or next to a window to bring in the cooler air from outside
- Place a bowl of ice in front of fans to cool air
- Do not use fans when the temperature in a room is 34 degrees Celsius or higher. This is especially a concern for older adults and people taking certain medications since their ability to sweat is decreased. A large block of ice can be placed in front of the fan to cool the air….